Right after I was back from my beach holidays, I was totally up for a sea, sun and shell theme in my room. I knew I wanted a corner with a little dash of beach upshot. A beach themed mason jar strikes my mind. I hunted my DIY carton for the used up sauce jars cleaned for my DIY projects.
Things we need:
- Mason jar, sauce jar
- Doily tapes
- Glass colorings
- Shells (collected from several beaches around south east asia)
- Beach white sand (collected from the beaches of Thailand)
- Mod Podge
- Twines, charms, threads for decorations
- Clean up the Mason jar, sauce jars with alcohol to remove stains and fingerprint traces. Apply a descent coating of mod podge into the jar. Throw in the glass paint into the jar ( I added medium quantity as I wanted the light turquoise effect for a sea look).
- Turn the jar upside down and let it rest on a flat surface for overnight. Next day place it in a preheated oven of 140 degree Celsius for 10 mins to ensure that the color has stuck well to the glass surface. (Many blogs suggest food coloring but I would suggest for glass paint as it ensures durability and uniform spreading of color across the surface.) Wohooo you tinted jar are ready.
- However u may skip this step if you prefer to have a more neutral transparent look.
- Fill the jar about a quarter with sand and throw in your favorite seashells and corals into the jar.
- Decorate it with lace, doily tapes and twines or threading for a beach inspired look. U may also place a tiny tea light candle for a beach themes mason jar candle.